This guide will get you to the most appropriate key ideas where you can learn to prepare effective thesis for your research in PhD or MPhil type degrees. The key concept is to assist you to become a good student first and then an efficient professional.
Table of Contents for PhD Thesis and Research Projects
- 1. Be inclusive with your thinking.
2. Write down your ideas.
3. Don’t be overly influenced by others-it’s your research.
4. Try and set a realistic goal.
5. Set appropriate time lines.
6. Take a leave of absence when it will do the most good.
7. Try a preliminary study to help clarify your research.
- a. Design your research so the subjects benefit.
b. Choose your methodology wisely.
c. Consider combining methodologies.
d. Carefully select location for your research.
e. Avoid conducting research in conjunction with another agency.
8. Read other proposals.
9. Prepare a comprehensive review of the literature.
10. Photocopy relevant articles.
11. Proposal should be first 3 chapters of dissertation.
12. Focus your research.
13. Include a title on your proposal.
14. Organize around a set of questions.
15. Some considerations for designing your research:
16. Use your advisory committee well.
- 17. Begin writing with sections you know the best.
18. Rewrite your proposal into dissertation sections.
19. Use real names/places in early drafts of dissertation.
20. Print each draft on a different color paper.
21. Use hand drawings of graphics/tables for early drafts.
22. Make your writing clear and unambiguous.
23. Review other dissertations before you begin to write.
24. Introduce tables in the text, present the table and then describe it.
25. Use similar or parallel wording whenever possible.
26. Let your Table of Contents help you improve your manuscript.
27. Write real conclusions and implications – don’t restate your findings.
28. Make your Suggestions for Further Research meaningful.
29. Chapter One should be written last.
- 30. Attend some defenses before it’s your turn.
31. Discuss your research with others.
32. Don’t circulate chapters to committee.
33. The defense should be team effort – you and adviser.
34. Don’t be defensive at your defense.
35. Organize your defense as an educational presentation.
36. Consider tape recording your defense.
37. Prepare an article on the outcomes of your research.